Campus House is a Learning Center with Mattole Valley Charter School, which is a California State Public Charter School. All our services are free.
Campus House is located near Humboldt State University campus and offers interaction and academic support for independent study high school students; as well as curriculum support and learning verification to home study parents of primary students K-8.
Our Center focuses on a hybrid method of instruction which combines class time and direct instruction for students with self-led learning at home. Students find the small group classes and one on one attention helpful to their success. They also enjoy the close-knit, accommodating atmosphere of our campus. Instruction is delivered through a combination of individual tutoring, small group instruction, online programs, concurrent enrollment at College of the Redwoods, independent study contracts, and elective course offerings. We use many outside contractors in our area to enrich our student’s educational experience. We use contractors such as The Fire Arts Studio, Redwood Ballet, Humboldt Music Academy, The Studio School, Eureka Driving School and Arcata Parks and Recreation.
Each student’s overall program represents their unique combination of the above and reflects their post-high school goals.
Many of our students go to four-year colleges or universities directly from our program, some with scholarships. Because of concurrent enrollment opportunities, some Campus House students graduate our program with a considerable amount of college credits. Most of the time those credits will transfer to other colleges and universities, thereby enabling some students to begin their post-high school education with some college course work already completed.
Students that have not been high academic achievers thrive here as well. Our teachers and tutors employ “grace” and our reluctant learners like and respond to their non-threatening manner. We are able to employ great flexibility in order to find the best combination of educational opportunities for each individual under our direction. Campus House students and their parents are empowered with their ability to help create their own learning plan.
Students, for whom earning income is a priority, have the advantage of our flexible independent study schedule. This allows them the ability to work and receive work study credits during hours that are traditionally set aside for attendance at site-based schools. Some students come to school daily others take many of their lessons at home.
Most of our classes are A-G courses certified through the University of California Doorways System. We also offer Advanced Placement classes approved by the College Board. Mattole Valley Charter School is an AVID trained school, and we employ those strategies in all of our classes. Additionally, we use the online learning system APEX to fulfill other classes or learning styles for students. We can also offer general education classes for students that struggle with a difficult course load, however, we encourage students to choose the most rigorous course of instruction for themselves, and one that will fit their post high school needs.
Highly skilled teachers hold individual tutoring and small group classes at Campus House.
- Principal, Mary K. Havens oversees the operation of Campus House. She also teaches classes in English and Social Studies; including Advanced Placement classes, and the AVID elective. She holds a Masters degree in Teaching from Bennington College in Vermont. She has and Administrative Credential and an English credential. Mary also holds NCLB Highly Qualified status in Math and Social Studies. Mary has been teaching and coordinating at Campus House for 8 years, and loves it more each year!
- Tammy Lindley holds a California State Teaching Credential in High School Science. She teaches college preparatory Chemistry and Biology in our fabulous science lab.
- Jamie Ellsmore holds a California State Teaching Credential in High School PE and oversees the curriculum, testing and fitness plans for all students taking PE. She also delivers state mandated Health and Sexual Education curriculum.
- Jennifer Rand teaches English, Computers, Creative Writing and tutors students in Math and Language Arts. She holds a Master’s Degree in Literature from Humboldt State University.
- Diane Diyarza teaches Integrated 1,2,3 Math. She is currently a senior at Humboldt State University studying Mathematics.
- Campus House often has additional tutors or teacher credential students from nearby Humboldt State University. We also work closely with their art department to deliver an educational Visual Arts curriculum.
Please call 707-822-5661 for more information.
We look forward to serving you and your child!